Connect with Facebook
Forgot your password?

Thread: Plastic Bonding!!!

Default Plastic Bonding!!!

My Salomon is dying! The shell at the base of the interior is tearing! I just want to be able to ride it for a bit longer. Any ideas as to how I can bond the shell together for just a little bit longer? maybe a strong glue or melted plastic or something?? I am in dire need of suggestions!

Help?? Anyone???

Tenax 7R or Ambroid Po Weld

I'm not sure if these will actually be strong enough to hold the tear but these are plastic fusers instead of just filling the gap with an adhesive.

Ok here are pictures of it that i managed to get from the crack. The skates are Aaron Feinberg Pro 2001 Salomon skates so you are aware of the model and the age. I recently added backslide plates from a pair of discarded Razors Cults and perhaps from this application this travesty happened. Anyway here are the pics with some commentary to further explain the dilemma.

This is the pic of the skate... That's the backslide plate i was telling you about. BTW it works like a wonder

This is a shot of the lining of the right heel. If you look closely at the right side you can see the tear going along there. The crack actually starts at the heel and goes around even a bit on the left side.

There is even a leading crack at the head of the heel in this shot but I can't do too much about it. But the real problem is from the heel go around.

The crack is troublesome because as you can see in this shot I can pull it down slightly... This means eventually one of my topside tricks will tear the whole bottom taking soul plates, grind plates and frame with it.

Hopefully these images will help! Thanks for the suggestions so far. Also someone said something to me about solvents dissolving plastics. Would any of what you suggested destroy the plastic or aid it??

93 views and only one response... Well thanks for your response Zacharias. If anyone else is out there who can help with any more thoughtful suggestions. Anyone at all. Please. Any kind of help at all would be welcome to finding a way to ride these skates for just a while longer.

Holy shit. That sucks man. But Salomons are cheap on ebay. Buy another pair.

yeah man, looks like you have gotten your money's worth out of them. just take your time and you will find another pair for a good price.

probably really dangerous to keep riding those,even with plastic bonder.

Well i got in touch with my Uncle. He applied this sort of plastic adhesive used to glue plane parts together. He combined two glues. He made it clear that this is completely experimental as he has never used the material outside of airplane parts. I left it to stick for 24 hours. I've sessioned three times with it so far. During the second session I noticed that the glue started to come away. It's still holding but again the process is inevitable. Nothing will be saving them. So I have decided to do a sort of farewell edit. I will miss riding them dearly. So after the edit I'll put them away and look back on them to bring me back some fond memories. Thanks for all your help everyone. I think I will move on to a new pair of USD Carbons or Xsjados.

Dude you could get a like new pair on ebay for like $20

[]D[][]V[][]D

Skate them to death, just don't do dangerous tricks with them.

you could try a heat gun and melt the pieces back together but you could also very easily make the problem worse, I've melted cracks in a cuff back together and added more plastic to a beat up xsjado bs plate with no problems

Whoa... What do you mean? Is there a guide anywhere online or something that i can use? Also what kind of plastic did you add?

probably really dangerous to keep riding those,even with plastic bonder.

Google search plastic welder

Quote Originally Posted by Nodstonothing View Post
    Google search plastic welder
    dude i know converted a really rare golf bumper to fit on a jetta that way.

Quote Originally Posted by urban^nja View Post
    Whoa... What do you mean? Is there a guide anywhere online or something that i can use? Also what kind of plastic did you add?
    I doubt there is a specific guide but I'm sure theres stuff with the same idea. I used plastic from an old bs plate, so it was the same plastic, I just shaved it off and melted it in, warmed up the spot where I wanted to add plastic and placed the smaller shaved pieces on.

Did you and your uncle sand the plastic before applying the adhesive it wont hold unless you do.

No we didn't... didn't think of that... $#[email protected] useless now anyway... The skate died last Friday... But thanks for the advice.